Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Scents of My Wonderful life...

So my life is in twinned with scents and it always has been. I am funny about scents I only burn certain smells at certain time of the years and I never mix to scents. It drives my bestie crazy! The first time she realized this was when we were shopping for candles and she had me smell pumpkin and I told her I couldn't burn that scent yet because it was the summer time. You should have seen her face!
Scents are the keepers of my memories. I have a memory locked away but as soon I smell something, the memory is unlocked and I am taken back.


Like today was a gorgeous day and you could just smell spring in the air. I walked outside and the wind was blowing and I could smell the flowers that just started to bloom somewhere and I was two years back thinking about how I was taking Elijah for walks at the duck pond early in the morning and how much I loved spending that time with him.

I have scents for everyone in my life and for the things that I have happened in my life, some great things and some not so great.

I cant smell the cologne Micheal Jordan because it makes me think of my childhood friends father that past. I was at walmart one day and this gentlemen walked by wearing that cologne and time stood still for me. I was 13 years old all over again and I was with my friends watching the movie Grease and Tom came running in singing along with the movie and dancing around. One of the best memories I have of Tom, when I was still young and things were so simple.
Another scent that takes me back to my youth is fresh cut grass. When I smell that in the air, I am on the softball field playing the game. I loved it!! The late night games, the sunflowers seeds, the chants we would yell. I can hear the laughing and the cheering. I had some of my best times out on the field.

I love when I walk into a salon and I smell the hair, shampoo and the chemicals for the coloring, it takes me back to me and bestie going and getting our hair done, I remember the first time I had bestie get her eyebrows and lip waxed!! OH lord I thought she was going to kill me!! Still makes me laugh!
The smell of popcorn and chocolate makes me think of all the endless talks we have had laying around watching sappy movies and playing the WII...

When I smell the scent of tuna it takes me back to the last time I got to see Mom ( my bestie mother)... She was an incredible women. The smell of books takes me to back when I fist met Mom and DR. They have been such a blessing in my life..

When I smell wet dirt it makes me think of my little sister playing in the sprinkler when she was 4 years old. She is now 13 and she is turning into such a young lady.

One of my favorite scents is Cinnamon, true cinnamon, not apple cinnamon. True cinnamon makes me think of my mother. I loved coming home in the winter because she would always be burning that scent and I loved walking in the door and feeling the heat hit me wrapping me in the scent of cinnamon. Another scent that makes me think of my mom is baby powder. When I was younger my mom would put baby powder on after her showers and when she would leave the bathroom, I would run into the bathroom and close the door trying to keep the scent of the hot water mixed with her shampoo and baby powder in and I would just stay in there till I could no longer smell it. I don't know if she ever knew if I did that, but I always loved how she smelled.

The smell of Copenhagen makes me think of my father. When I smell that scent it takes me back to when my dad was teaching me how to play Jim-rummy. Also the smell of canned Chicken and dumplings, oh my goodness the worst thing ever!! We still crack up about that!!!
The smell of Lime Beer takes me back to last summer when my brother came over and we talked on my front porch till 4 am! We hadn't talk that way in a really long time and I am so glad to have my brother back in my life.
The smells after a thunderstorm takes me back to the summer I got baptised at church camp. One of the best days of my life!

The scent of Cool-water perfume and Lucky cologne takes me back to the summer of 2002 in front of Jenny Reavis house in a red Pontiac where I received my first kiss from my future husband. Till this day when I smell those scents I am 17 years old all over again. Not knowing what God had in store for us.
The smell of Lysol takes me back to the day I found out I was pregnant with Elijah, and how over joyed I was to hear those words " Your pregnant"...


I love how scents are in my life because everyday is like a walk down memory lane for me and I love taking the time to stop and smell the roses and think about all the wonderful things I have in my life...

1 comment:

  1. I still haven't forgiven you for that! ;) I love you!

    ReplyDelete